Furthermore, the Blacks at Microsoft (BAM) Scholarship is an initiative for supporting the continued growth and development of black employees and encouraging students to pursue and advance their career in technology.
In this article, we shall be guiding you on all you need to know concerning the Blacks at Microsoft Scholarships Program. We will discuss from:
- Requirements for Application.
- How to apply for the Scholarship.
- Frequently asked Questions.
- Finally, we will provide you with Helpful and Additional Links.
An Overview of the Awarding Organisation.
The awarding organization for this scholarship is Microsoft Corporation. However, the arm that overseas this corporate social responsibility was founded in 1989 as the first Microsoft-sponsored employee resource group called Blacks at Microsoft (BAM).
The driving force of Blacks at Microsoft (BAM) Scholarship is to help black high school students of African decadents to go to college and realize the impact technology has on the world system. This will help them re-target and position themselves for career in the technology industry.
How Much Does the BAM Scholarship Worth
The worth of the BAM scholarship keeps increasing. For this year, BAM has specified to award two US$5,000 scholarships to outstanding high school seniors who are interested in pursuing careers in technology.
Aside the initial award, it is renewable continuously for four years. That is if the winners continue to meet the criteria. So we assume that the potential worth of the scholarship is a total of $20,000
Note also that the Five scholarship runners-up will be eligible for a $1,500 BAM technology stipend based on their financial needs.
What are the Requirements for Applying for Blacks at Microsoft Scholarships Program
It is very important that you take out time to read this eligibility criteria for the Blacks at Microsoft Scholarship program. Unless you know the requirements you are bound to make mistakes. That is why we have decided to write down details guide here for you.
To qualify for the BAM Scholarship Application, below are the requirements you must meet.
- Such an Applicant must be a high-school senior of African descent (African American or African).
- You college plans must be to attend and study a four-year University program. This means that person intending to study for less than four (4) in the University or College is not qualified.
- The Applicant must be desirous of pursuing degree in engineering, computer science, computer information systems, or select business programs (such as finance, business administration, or marketing). Note that any other discipline aside the above maybe disqualified for application.
- The Applicant must have been seen to be passionate about advancing in technology.
- Demonstrate leadership at school or in the community.
- To show academic performance, the applicant must have a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher.
- Above, the scholarship must only be offered to persons who ave been shown to need a strong financial assistance to be able to attend college.
How Do I Apply For Blacks at Microsoft Scholarship
The process of applying for the Microsoft Scholarship is pretty simple and straight forward. Kindly follow the guides to learn the steps:
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Before applying for the scholarship, you must have two letter of recommendation.
- One of such letter must be from a faculty or staff member at your school.
- Note that the recommendation letter must be original and should not be duplicates of college recommendation letters. ( It is strongly recommended that the Letters must be on letterhead.)
Résumé. You are required to also present a résumé. This should include the following information:
- Extracurricular activities that you have engaged on (school and community related)
- Honors and awards that you have received (Here we recommend again that if such awards or honors are technology related, then you should includes first and make it so obvious.)
- You required to also include any Work experience you have. ( We strongly recommend that if you have worked in any tech related company or organisation, then you should not waste time indicating it. These are the things that makes your chances high.
Two Essays. You will also be require to submit two essays. Below are the details you need:
- The first essay requirement: In no more than 500 words, describe how you plan to engage in the technology industry in your future career. (If you have done exemplary work using technology during high school)
- The second essay requirement: In no more than 250 words, demonstrate your financial need for this scholarship.
Picture of yourself. You must present a recent pictures of yourself. Note that it must be colored.
- Transcript. Include a copy of your current academic transcript. (Official or Unofficial copies will both be accepted.)
For questions please email your inquiries to BAMScholarship@microsoft.com.
- Click here To Apply and Submit application
Frequently Asked Questions
Lets answer some frequently answered questions to help you understand the the Blacks at Microsoft scholarship.
1. What is the difference between the BAM Scholarship and the Microsoft College Scholarships for minority students?
Microsoft College Scholarships are funded and offered by Microsoft. This cover up to 100 percent of recipients’ tuition costs. The application requirement is restricted to only students who are currently enrolled in a four-year college or university. These are the class of persons eligible to apply for Microsoft College Scholarships.
On the other hand, the Blacks at Microsoft Scholarships are funded and administered by members of the BAM (Blacks at Microsoft) organization and are renewable awards of US $5,000. Note that, the eligibility is closed for persons who are not school seniors. This means that only school seniors are eligible to apply for a BAM Scholarship; scholarship recipients can apply to renew their scholarships for up to four years.
2. Can I apply for a BAM Scholarship if I am already in College?
The answer is a big NO. This is because the BAM Scholarship is only open to high-school seniors. However, if you have won the scholarship, you can as a winner apply to renew their scholarships for up to four years.
3. Can I apply for the BAM Scholarship if I plan to attend a community college in the fall?
Yes you apply. Applicants or students who plan to begin their degree program at a two-year college are welcome to apply.
4. Must I send ONLY Official an Official Transcript?
The answer is No. The requirement provides that if you cannot obtain an official transcript from your school, you can send an unofficial transcript with your application. But when you are chosen as the winner, you will be required to submit an official transcript.
5. Can I apply for the BAM Scholarship if I don’t live in the Seattle area?
The answer is Yes. The BAM Scholarship is currently open to students throughout the United States.
6. Is the scholarship renewable?
The answer is also Yes. As the winner of the Scholarship, you could regularly apply to renew your scholarship for a maximum of years not exceeding for years. However, this is subject to you meeting some specific eligibility requirements.
7. Am I automatically considered for a Microsoft high-school internship when I apply for a scholarship?
No. Only recipients of BAM Scholarships are automatically considered for internships. Information about applying for the Microsoft High School Internship Program is available on the High School Internship Program web page.
Note that scholarship is Open to Individual applicants can apply.
The Scholarship Deadline is Apr 10 2020 11:59 PM (PDT)
Kindly sign up for our newsletter to notify you immediately the 2021 session begins.
Finally, we would thank you for reading this article today on the Blacks at Microsoft Employee Scholarship have Started for 2020/2021. Furthermore, in case you need any more informations, kindly use the links above or you may decide to use the comment box and let us know.